How Does Cash Flow Positive Property Work?
Cash flow positive property is an investment strategy that generates the investor a passive income every week/month/year that they hold the property. It is different to negatively geared property where the investor loses money every week and hopes to make that money back through an increase in value of the property (capital gains).
Positive cash flow property can be a great investment as it increases the investors disposable income and still gives them access to capital gains and tax deductions associated with property.
Many investors retire or become financially free and live off the cash flow their properties provide them.
So, How Does Cash Flow Positive Property Work?
Positive cash flow property is created when the income from the property (usually the rental income) is greater than all of the expenses.
If you are collecting a monthly income of $1,500 from your property an you are paying $700 in mortgage and $600 in other costs (insurance, maintenance etc) then your total income ($1,500) would be greater than your total expenses ($1,300).
This property would be positively cash flowed to the value of $200/month.
What Is The End Goal?
Using the above example the extra $200/month could be used for a variety of purposes.
– To pay off the mortgage
– To buy more property
– To fund your lifestyle
– To be invested in other areas (eg. Shares)
The end goal is usually (but not always) to earn enough passive income from your properties to become financially free and to no longer have to work.
Generally you will need more than one positive cash flow property to become financially free, but even one property that added $100/week to your income would be helpful and make your life better.
How Can I Find Out More
This post only covers the basics of how cash flow positive property works. As you can see it is quite simple and can be a great investment strategy. I would love to direct you to the below resources to help you learn more.
0-130 Properties in 3.5 Years by Steve McKnight – This books teaches you all about positive cash flow property and how to become financially free. The author bought 130 properties in 3.5 years (thus the title) and would be my most recommended book on positive cash flow property. Click here and buy the book on FishPond (Australian online retailer) and save some money on the purchase price.
How To Calculate Positive Cash Flow Property – Read this post that goes into more depth on how you can calculate positive cash flow property.
Sign Up For Our Email Newsletter – Our email newsletter gives quality content on positive cash flow property delivered to your inbox weekly. You also get a free report that will help you find positive cash flow property all over Australia. Sign up now and get your free report.
Try Our Property Calculators – Our property calculators help you to quickly and easily estimate the cash flow of any given property. Try them out now
DISCLAIMER No Legal, Financial & Taxation Advice
The Listener, Reader or Viewer acknowledges and agrees that:
- Any information provided by us is provided as general information and for general information purposes only;
- We have not taken the Listener, Reader or Viewers personal and financial circumstances into account when providing information;
- We must not and have not provided legal, financial or taxation advice to the Listener, Reader or Viewer;
- The information provided must be verified by the Listener, Reader or Viewer prior to the Listener, Reader or Viewer acting or relying on the information by an independent professional advisor including a legal, financial, taxation advisor and the Listener, Reader or Viewers accountant;
- The information may not be suitable or applicable to the Listener, Reader or Viewer's individual circumstances;
- We do not hold an Australian Financial Services Licence as defined by section 9 of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) and we are not authorised to provide financial services to the Listener, Reader or Viewer, and we have not provided financial services to the Listener, Reader or Viewer.
"This property investment strategy is so simple it actually works"
Want to achieve baseline financial freedom and security through investing in property? Want a low risk, straightforward way to do it? Join more than 20,000 investors who have transformed the way they invest in property."