How To Make Money From Property Investment (Ep60)
Property investment can be a great way to make extra money and to even make enough money to retire from your fulltime job.
But how can you make money from property investment?
Today I’m going to talk about the three ways that you can make money from property investment.
There are a lot of different strategies that you can use to make money from property but they all utilise these three methods. Understanding these three ways of making money through property investment can allow you to assess which method you want to use to make most of your money and which properties will fit your financial goals.
Money-making method number one is “cash flow”.
Cash flow refers to when the property generates more income than you are paying in expenses and thus generates you a positive cash flow.
This means that overtime you may be able to pay down your debt or funnel that extra cash flow into other investments.
Cash flow is great because you receive it every single month. This means that you will get a return on investment of your money as the cash flow comes in.
The second way to make money from property investment is through “capital gains”.
Capital gains refers to the value of the asset that you buy going up over time.
People say that property doubles every seven to ten years. This is capital growth – the increase in value of the property.
Say you purchase a property for $300,000 and in ten years time it is worth $600,000. There is $300,000 in growth that you have had on that property. You have made money in capital growth.
And method number three is “tax savings”.
One of the great things about property is that you can actually make tax savings on the tax that you pay in your job. This comes back to you as a refund because of your investment in property.
The primary way that people do this is through depreciation of the property. The building and its inner fixtures and fittings and so forth depreciate over time and cause a loss on paper. They call it an on-paper loss because you’re not actually dishing money out for these losses each year. But because the value is going down you can actually claim that as a loss in the financial year.
Essentially you are receiving a tax refund on that loss and thus making money from the property without actually making money.
Always speak to a professional tax accountant whenever you’re claiming anything on your investment property. There’s a fine line between maximising tax savings and committing illegal tax evasion.
So there you have the three ways that you can make money from property investment.
DISCLAIMER No Legal, Financial & Taxation Advice
The Listener, Reader or Viewer acknowledges and agrees that:
- Any information provided by us is provided as general information and for general information purposes only;
- We have not taken the Listener, Reader or Viewers personal and financial circumstances into account when providing information;
- We must not and have not provided legal, financial or taxation advice to the Listener, Reader or Viewer;
- The information provided must be verified by the Listener, Reader or Viewer prior to the Listener, Reader or Viewer acting or relying on the information by an independent professional advisor including a legal, financial, taxation advisor and the Listener, Reader or Viewers accountant;
- The information may not be suitable or applicable to the Listener, Reader or Viewer's individual circumstances;
- We do not hold an Australian Financial Services Licence as defined by section 9 of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) and we are not authorised to provide financial services to the Listener, Reader or Viewer, and we have not provided financial services to the Listener, Reader or Viewer.
"This property investment strategy is so simple it actually works"
Want to achieve baseline financial freedom and security through investing in property? Want a low risk, straightforward way to do it? Join more than 20,000 investors who have transformed the way they invest in property."