When Should You Get A Depreciation Schedule Done? (Ep144)
Failing to get your Depreciation Schedule done on time could mean that you could be missing out on huge amounts of depreciation and the tax benefits that come with that. So today I sit down with Brad from BMT Quantity Surveyors and we talk about when you should get your depreciation schedule done.
This is Part 5 in a 10 part series on Depreciation.
When should people go about getting a depreciation schedule done?
When you buy the property or at the end of the financial year means that bills are accountable at the end of the financial year.
You are going to need it for that tax returns due on the property so before you do your next tax return is ideal.
There is also that you can let your account adjust your tax for the year so you will get the money back straight away rather than waiting until the end of the financial year and the report will be so filed to do that.
There is an opportunity for investors who get their depreciation schedule done early to actually take that to their accountant and I guess bring that into play so that they get the benefits of that straight away rather than waiting until tax time.
It’s something you need to speak to your accountant to about first before you come and see us (BMT) because they’ll want to have a look at the rest of your situation and you probable are normal salary owner as opposed to a company, etc for that to work. But have a chat with your accountant about actually looking at adjusting your tax through the year as opposed to waiting until the end of the financial is definitely something worth considering.
So as you can see getting your depreciation schedule done in the first year or at worst in the first two years is extremely important, basically get it done as soon as possible, invest in it and it is a tax deductible expense so again you are going to get some tax back on what you spend anyway.
Being able to calculate how depreciation will affect your cash flow is an important step to take before you go ahead and jump into a property investment. The Advanced Property Calculator allows you to see the potential cash flow of a property before and after tax is taken into account. A must have tool for any property investor. Get the free eBook (inside On Property Plus)
DISCLAIMER No Legal, Financial & Taxation Advice
The Listener, Reader or Viewer acknowledges and agrees that:
- Any information provided by us is provided as general information and for general information purposes only;
- We have not taken the Listener, Reader or Viewers personal and financial circumstances into account when providing information;
- We must not and have not provided legal, financial or taxation advice to the Listener, Reader or Viewer;
- The information provided must be verified by the Listener, Reader or Viewer prior to the Listener, Reader or Viewer acting or relying on the information by an independent professional advisor including a legal, financial, taxation advisor and the Listener, Reader or Viewers accountant;
- The information may not be suitable or applicable to the Listener, Reader or Viewer's individual circumstances;
- We do not hold an Australian Financial Services Licence as defined by section 9 of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) and we are not authorised to provide financial services to the Listener, Reader or Viewer, and we have not provided financial services to the Listener, Reader or Viewer.
"This property investment strategy is so simple it actually works"
Want to achieve baseline financial freedom and security through investing in property? Want a low risk, straightforward way to do it? Join more than 20,000 investors who have transformed the way they invest in property."